Monday, August 13, 2012

Dining Room Design

Now that we have our sweet little house, my brain has been operating on overdrive trying to figure out ways to decorate.  Fashion and makeup come easy to me, but, I admit, interior design is a completely different animal.  Just because a certain table looks amazing and a certain chair looks great, doesn't mean that they'll work harmoniously together.  You really have to have a sense of spatial organization and a knack for understanding which pieces (in which colors) balance each other out as opposed to competing with one another.  It is HARD!  I tried my hand at it a few years ago with my parents' house...it just ended up costing time and money and I threw in the towel and hired a professional interior designer in the end.  I learned a thing or two, however, working with her and since hubby and I don't have the means to pay someone $$$$ to call the shots for us, I'm striving really hard to do the job myself.  I'm so grateful and honored that my husband trusts me to furnish and decorate our home...however it makes me all the more nervous because I'm worried about messing up!

But enough yammering from me, I want to share what I've come up with so far.  I've decided to begin with our formal dining room.  I've spent the last few weeks hunting down the perfect pieces to create the look that I want for it...modern-vintage (does that make sense?) with French flair and a touch of shabby chic.  I think I've got the ok to order everything today...check it out:

Chandelier by Restoration HardwareDining chairs by Home DecoratorsLinen panels, dining table, rug, and table runner by Ballard Designs.

We have the original hardwood floors back from when the house was built in the '20's with latte colored walls and the original moldings in off-white.  I just adore the way the muted blues, grays, and distressed off-white finishes complement each other!  I'm so excited!  Can't wait till everything comes in so I can share images of my actual dining room with you all! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment